Briggs and Stratton Product failed < 1 year, CustService Atrocious!
I purchased a Briggs and Stratton 10kW emPower 40243 Home Standby Generator after the extended power outages that we faced last year with Irene, knowing that a long-term power outage will likely happen again. Finished with installation around December, when I set up the weekly diagnostics, put in brand new oil, all set to go.
Just a few days before Hurricane Sandy hit, I ran an automatic test just to make sure that my generator would be good to go before the storm hits. After disconnecting the house power, the engine would fire up as normal.. but then would shut itself down after 10 seconds of running. It would wait a few seconds, and do this again.
After five or six times of doing this, it came up with a Fault code FC_04. This basically means "Engine failed to start." Great. So now I go through all of the basic troubleshooting: complete shut off and test again (no luck), check oil levels (levels are good, oil is still clean), check air cleaner (still clean), etc. Still no go.
Of course, Hurricane Sandy came in like a beast, and knocked out my house power, and my B&S generator is not working. After being out of power for a few days, I was eventually able to get an official Briggs and Stratton installer in my area to come and take a look. After at least an hour on the phone with B&S tech support, and tearing apart the entire unit, they eventually discovered that the Stator and rotor went bad. Please note, this is a major component in the generator that basically helps in translating the motor movement to electricity. Because it was not providing power, the generator would automatically shut down.
In short, I have a lemon in my hands. Even though the replacement parts and labor are under warranty, this is like performing open heart surgery on a product that is less than a year old.
What bothered me the most was when I called Briggs and Stratton customer support myself, asking to see if there were any other routes that I could take, like get another unit to replace my complete dud. The person that I got on the phone was completely apathetic to my situation, and just repeated something off a script saying that I had no other options.
I would not consider myself a wealthy person, but I made a conscious decision to research and invest in a solution that theoretically should have helped me in a power outage scenario. Considering that I spent so much money to have this backup equipment installed for situations exactly like the past week, only to have the equipment fail on me, on top of the lack of consideration from customer support, really left a bad taste in my mouth. I have no other kind words for this company.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "Fiterman sports sent me back a helmet that I had signed at an autograph signing through their company with smudge and smear marks all over the helmet. This helmet..."
- "I bought an expensive Brinkmann charcoal grill a few years ago. This grill constantly rusts or breaks, so I have to order part after part after part. This..."
- "I bought two pocket hoses. One of 25' on August 3, 2013 and another one of 50' in July 20, 2013. I paid for both $29.97 without tax. Both..."
- "I just experienced the most horrible customer service ever at bjs in Ocean Township NJ. After an item wouldnt scan had to wait 15 minutes with not one worker..."
- "Bought a samsung 45h700 model. Just over 30 days into it the machine over fills the water causing it to unbalance and make grinding sound. The dryer is also leaking...."
- "Had ordered a "gift of fresh, gorgeous assorted roses" (12+12 roses) for my husband's birthday and was totally disappointed upon receiving them. The picture on their site had vibrant roses..."
- "Buddhasiha is a member of the Triratna Buddhist Community and has been discovered telling lies behind my back, assisting an unethical company involved in very serious forms of abuse and..."
- "One Florida-based health system may be in some serious HIPAA hot water after one of its employee reportedly leaked and alledgedly sold over 900 medical records for patients who sought..."
- "Purchased what seemed to be a great sectional for a bit more money than we wanted but thought "Huffman koo"" was a reputable company. How wrong we were. LIES,..."